security: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (si-kyoor'i-tē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ties,
- freedom from danger, risk, etc.; safety.
- freedom from care, anxiety, or doubt; well-founded confidence.
- something that secures or makes safe; protection; defense.
- freedom from financial cares or from want: The insurance policy gave the family security.
- precautions taken to guard against crime, attack, sabotage, espionage, etc.: The senator claimed security was lax and potential enemies know our plans.
- a department or organization responsible for protection or safety: He called security when he spotted the intruder.
- protection or precautions taken against escape; custody: The dangerous criminal was placed under maximum security.
- an assurance; guarantee.
- something given or deposited as surety for the fulfillment of a promise or an obligation, the payment of a debt, etc.
- one who becomes surety for another.
- an evidence of debt or of property, as a bond or a certificate of stock.
- Usually,stocks and bonds.
- overconfidence; cockiness.
- of, pertaining to, or serving as security: The company has instituted stricter security measures.
- security (Thesaurus)