WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. security, safety
- usage: the state of being free from danger or injury; "we support the armed services in the name of national security"
- 2. security, protection, assets
- usage: defense against financial failure; financial independence; "his pension gave him security in his old age"; "insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
- 3. security, fearlessness, bravery
- usage: freedom from anxiety or fear; "the watch dog gave her a feeling of security"
- 4. security, certificate, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: a formal declaration that documents a fact of relevance to finance and investment; the holder has a right to receive interest or dividends; "he held several valuable securities"
- 5. security, surety, transferred property, transferred possession
- usage: property that your creditor can claim in case you default on your obligation; "bankers are reluctant to lend without good security"
- 6. security, security department, department, section
- usage: a department responsible for the security of the institution's property and workers; "the head of security was a former policeman"
- 7. security, surety, guarantee, warrant, warrantee, warranty
- usage: a guarantee that an obligation will be met
- 8. security system, security measure, security, electrical device
- usage: an electrical device that sets off an alarm when someone tries to break in
- 9. security, security measures, precaution, safeguard, guard
- usage: measures taken as a precaution against theft or espionage or sabotage etc.; "military security has been stepped up since the recent uprising"
All rights reserved.
See also: security (Dictionary)