secretary: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sek'ri-ter"ē), [key]
— pl. -tar•ies.
- a person, usually an official, who is in charge of the records, correspondence, minutes of meetings, and related affairs of an organization, company, association, etc.: the secretary of the Linguistic Society of America.
- a person employed to handle correspondence and do routine work in a business office, usually involving taking dictation, typing, filing, and the like.
- (often cap.) an officer of state charged with the superintendence and management of a particular department of government, as a member of the president's cabinet in the U.S.: Secretary of the Treasury.
- Also calleda diplomatic official of an embassy or legation who ranks below a counselor and is usually assigned as first secretary, second secretary, or third secretary.
- a piece of furniture for use as a writing desk.
- Also calleda desk with bookshelves on top of it.
- secretary (Thesaurus)