Meaning of rub
Pronunciation: (rub), [key]
— v., n. rubbed, rub•bing,
- to subject the surface of (a thing or person) to pressure and friction, as in cleaning, smoothing, polishing, coating, massaging, or soothing: to rub a table top with wax polish; to rub the entire back area.
- to move (something) back and forth or with a rotary motion, as against or along another surface: to rub the cloth over the glass pane.
- to spread or apply (something) with pressure and friction over something else or a person: to rub lotion on her chapped hands.
- to move (two things) with pressure and friction over or back and forth over each other (often fol. by together): He rubbed his hands together.
- to mark, polish, force, move, etc. (something) by pressure and friction (often fol. by over, in, or into).
- to remove by pressure and friction; erase (often fol. by off or out).
- to exert pressure and friction on something.
- to move with pressure against something.
- to admit of being rubbed in a specified manner: Chalk rubs off easily.
- to proceed, continue in a course, or keep going with effort or difficulty (usually fol. by on, along, or through): He manages to rub along.
- to rub a chair down with sandpaper.
- to smooth off, polish, or apply a coating to:to rub a chair down with sandpaper.
- to give a massage to.
- to emphasize or reiterate something unpleasant in order to tease or annoy: The situation was embarrassing enough without having you rub it in.
- to become transferred or communicated to by example or association: Some of his good luck must have rubbed off on me.
- They rubbed him out before he could get to the police.
- to obliterate; erase.
- Slang.to murder:They rubbed him out before he could get to the police.
- to irritate; offend; annoy: a manner that seemed to rub everyone the wrong way.
- to refresh one's memory of (a subject, language, etc.).
- an act or instance of rubbing: an alcohol rub.
- something that annoys or irritates one's feelings, as a sharp criticism, a sarcastic remark, or the like: to resent rubs concerning one's character.
- an annoying experience or circumstance.
- an obstacle, impediment, or difficulty: We'd like to travel, but the rub is that we have no money.
- a rough or abraded area caused by rubbing.
- rub (Thesaurus)