roof: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rf, roof), [key]
— n., pl. v. roofs,
- the external upper covering of a house or other building.
- a frame for supporting this: an open-timbered roof.
- the highest part or summit: The Himalayas are the roof of the world.
- something that in form or position resembles the roof of a house, as the top of a car, the upper part of the mouth, etc.
- a house.
- the rock immediately above a horizontal mineral deposit.
- Foreign travel may very well go through the roof next year.
- to increase beyond all expectations:Foreign travel may very well go through the roof next year.
- Also,hit the roof,Informal.to lose one's temper; become extremely angry.
- The applause raised the roof.
- to create a loud noise:The applause raised the roof.
- to complain or protest noisily:He'll raise the roof when he sees that bill.
- to provide or cover with a roof.
- roof (Thesaurus)