Meaning of region
Pronunciation: (rē'jun), [key]
- an extensive, continuous part of a surface, space, or body: a region of the earth.
- Usually,the vast or indefinite entirety of a space or area, or something compared to one: the regions of the firmament; the regions of the mind.
- a part of the earth's surface (land or sea) of considerable and usually indefinite extent: a tropical region.
- a district without respect to boundaries or extent: a charming region in Connecticut.
- a part or division of the universe, as the heavens: a galactic region.
- a large indefinite area or range of something specified; sphere: a region of authority.
- an area of interest, activity, pursuit, etc.; field: studies in the region of logic.
- an administrative division of a city or territory.
- a major faunal area of the earth's surface, sometimes one regarded as a division of a larger area.
- a place in or a division of the body or a part of the body: the abdominal region.
- Also calleddomain.an open connected set.
- the union of such a set and some or all of its boundary points.
- region (Thesaurus)