projection: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pru-jek'shun), [key]
- a projecting or protruding part.
- the state or fact of jutting out or protruding.
- a causing to jut or protrude.
- the act, process, or result of projecting.
- a systematic construction of lines drawn on a plane surface representative of and corresponding to the meridians and parallels of the curved surface of the earth or celestial sphere.
- the act of reproducing on a surface, by optical means, a remote image on a film, slide, etc.
- an image so reproduced.
- the act of visualizing and regarding an idea or the like as an objective reality.
- something that is so visualized and regarded.
- calculation of some future thing: They fell short of their projection for the rate of growth.
- the act of communicating distinctly and forcefully to an audience.
- the tendency to ascribe to another person feelings, thoughts, or attitudes present in oneself, or to regard external reality as embodying such feelings, thoughts, etc., in some way.
- Psychoanal.such an ascription relieving the ego of a sense of guilt or other intolerable feeling.
- the act of planning or scheming.
- the casting of the powder of philosophers' stone upon metal in fusion, to transmute it into gold or silver.
- projection (Thesaurus)