preserve: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pri-zûrv'), [key]
— v., n. -served, -serv•ing,
- to keep alive or in existence; make lasting: to preserve our liberties as free citizens.
- to keep safe from harm or injury; protect or spare.
- to keep up; maintain: to preserve historical monuments.
- to keep possession of; retain: to preserve one's composure.
- to prepare (food or any perishable substance) so as to resist decomposition or fermentation.
- to prepare (fruit, vegetables, etc.) by cooking with sugar, pickling, canning, or the like.
- to maintain and reserve (game, fish, etc.) for continued survival or for private use, as in hunting or fishing.
- to preserve fruit, vegetables, etc.; make preserves.
- to maintain a preserve for game or fish, esp. for sport.
- something that preserves.
- that which is preserved.
- Usually,fruit, vegetables, etc., prepared by cooking with sugar.
- a place set apart for protection and propagation of game or fish, esp. for sport.
- preserve (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.