Meaning of preset
Pronunciation: (v., adj.prē-set'n.prē'set&sec), [key]
— v., adj., n. -set, -set•ting,
- to set beforehand.
- to set (an electric or electronic appliance) to become activated at a designated time:a.m. We preset the coffeemaker to go on at 6
- to adjust (a connector, switch, or the like) so that when activated it will perform a designated function: The tuning buttons on the radio are preset to my favorite FM stations.
- set in advance: a preset radio adjusted to receive certain stations.
- (of the guidance system of a missile or the course of flight it determines) set before launching to reach a specific destination without any alteration in response to signals from the ground.
- a knob or button that activates a preset appliance: Just push the preset and coffee will be ready when you get up.
- a similar device on a radio that can be activated to tune in a preselected station.
- preset (Thesaurus)