philosophy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fi-los'u-f?), [key]
? pl. -phies.
- the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
- any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
- a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
- the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
- a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
- a philosophical attitude, as one of composure and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.
- philosophy (Thesaurus)