oppose: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-pōz'), [key]
— v., -posed, -pos•ing.
- to act against or provide resistance to; combat.
- to stand in the way of; hinder; obstruct.
- to set as an opponent or adversary.
- to be hostile or adverse to, as in opinion: to oppose a resolution in a debate.
- to set as an obstacle or hindrance.
- to set against in some relation, esp. as to demonstrate a comparison or contrast: to oppose advantages to disadvantages.
- to use or take as being opposite or contrary.
- to set (something) over against something else in place, or to set (two things) so as to face or be opposite to one another.
- to be or act in opposition.
- oppose (Thesaurus)