WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. oppose, argue, contend, debate, fence
- usage: be against; express opposition to; "We oppose the ban on abortion"
- 2. fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: fight against or resist strongly; "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
- 3. oppose, counterbalance, contrast, counterpoint
- usage: contrast with equal weight or force
- 4. pit, oppose, match, play off, confront, face
- usage: set into opposition or rivalry; "let them match their best athletes against ours"; "pit a chess player against the Russian champion"; "He plays his two children off against each other"
- 5. react, oppose, act, move
- usage: act against or in opposition to; "She reacts negatively to everything I say"
- 6. oppose, controvert, contradict, refute, rebut
- usage: be resistant to; "The board opposed his motion"
All rights reserved.
See also: oppose (Dictionary)