oath: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (?th), [key]
? pl. oaths
- a solemn appeal to a deity, or to some revered person or thing, to witness one's determination to speak the truth, to keep a promise, etc.: to testify upon oath.
- a statement or promise strengthened by such an appeal.
- a formally affirmed statement or promise accepted as an equivalent of an appeal to a deity or to a revered person or thing; affirmation.
- the form of words in which such a statement or promise is made.
- an irreverent or blasphemous use of the name of God or anything sacred.
- any profane expression; curse; swearword: He slammed the door with a muttered oath.
- to swear solemnly; vow.
- oath (Thesaurus)