Meaning of night
Pronunciation: (nīt), [key]
- the period of darkness between sunset and sunrise.
- the beginning of this period; nightfall.
- the darkness of night; the dark.
- a condition or time of obscurity, ignorance, sinfulness, misfortune, etc.: the long night of European history known as the Dark Ages.
- (sometimes cap.) an evening used or set aside for a particular event, celebration, or other special purpose: a night on the town; poker night; New Year's Night.
- unceasingly; continually: She worked night and day until the job was done.
- of or pertaining to night: the night hours.
- occurring, appearing, or seen at night: a night raid; a night bloomer.
- used or designed to be used at night: to take a night coach; the night entrance.
- working at night: night nurse; the night shift.
- active at night: the night feeders of the jungle.
- night (Thesaurus)