Meaning of neck
Pronunciation: (nek), [key]
- the part of the body of an animal or human being that connects the head and the trunk.
- the part of a garment encircling, partly covering, or closest to the neck; neckline.
- the length of the neck of a horse or other animal as a measure in racing.
- the slender part near the top of a bottle, vase, or similar object.
- any narrow, connecting, or projecting part suggesting the neck of an animal.
- a narrow strip of land, as an isthmus or a cape.
- a strait.
- the longer and more slender part of a violin or similar stringed instrument, extending from the body to the head.
- the part on a shank of a bolt next to the head, esp. when it has a special form.
- a narrowed part of a bone, organ, or the like.
- the slightly narrowed region of a tooth between the crown and the root.
- beard (def. 5).
- a cylindrical continuation of the shaft of a column above the lower astragal of the capital, as in the Roman Doric and Tuscan orders.
- Also calledthe solidified lava or igneous rock filling a conduit leading either to a vent of an extinct volcano or to a laccolith.
- to have a surfeit; be overburdened: Right now she's up to her neck in work.
- to make a great effort: We broke our necks to get there on time.
- The trend is to consolidation and small businesses are getting it in the neck.
- to suffer punishment or loss:The trend is to consolidation and small businesses are getting it in the neck.
- to be rejected or dismissed:The employees got it in the neck when the company moved overseas.
- to be sharply reprimanded or scolded.
- even or very close; indeterminate as to the outcome: They were coming toward the finish line neck and neck.
- neighborhood, area, or vicinity: Next time you're in this neck of the woods, drop in.
- to expose oneself to danger, disaster, failure, disgrace, etc.; take a risk: He stuck his neck out by supporting an unpopular candidate.
- to win by a small amount or narrow margin.
- Racing.to be first by a head and neck; finish closely.
- (of two persons) to embrace, kiss, and caress one another amorously.
- to embrace, kiss, and caress (someone) amorously.
- to strangle or behead.
- neck (Thesaurus)