mourning: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (môr'ning, mōr'-), [key]
- the act of a person who mourns; sorrowing or lamentation.
- the conventional manifestation of sorrow for a person's death, esp. by the wearing of black clothes or a black armband, the hanging of flags at half-mast, etc.
- the outward symbols of such sorrow, as black garments.
- the period or interval during which a person grieves or formally expresses grief, as by wearing black garments.
- of, pertaining to, or used in mourning.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.