Meaning of mob
Pronunciation: (mob), [key]
— n., adj., v., mobbed, mob•bing.
- a disorderly or riotous crowd of people.
- a crowd bent on or engaged in lawless violence.
- any group or collection of persons or things.
- the common people; the masses; populace or multitude.
- a criminal gang, esp. one involved in drug trafficking, extortion, etc.
- Mafia (def. 1).
- a group of persons stimulating one another to excitement and losing ordinary rational control over their activity.
- a flock, herd, or drove of animals: a mob of sheep.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a lawless, irrational, disorderly, or riotous crowd: mob rule; mob instincts.
- directed at or reflecting the lowest intellectual level of the common people: mob appeal; the mob mentality.
- to crowd around noisily, as from curiosity or hostility: Spectators mobbed the courtroom.
- to attack in a riotous mob: The crowd mobbed the consulate.
- to chop (a fox).
- mob (Thesaurus)