milk: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (milk), [key]
- an opaque white or bluish-white liquid secreted by the mammary glands of female mammals, serving for the nourishment of their young.
- this liquid as secreted by cows, goats, or certain other animals and used by humans for food or as a source of butter, cheeses, yogurt, etc.
- any liquid resembling this, as the liquid within a coconut, the juice or sap of certain plants, or various pharmaceutical preparations.
- to lament what cannot be changed or corrected; express sorrow for past actions or events: Crying over spilled milk will do you no good now.
- to press or draw milk from the udder or breast of.
- to extract something from as if by milking.
- to get something from; exploit: The swindler milked her of all her savings.
- to extract; draw out: He's good at milking laughs from the audience.
- to yield milk, as a cow.
- to milk a cow or other mammal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.