manage: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (man'ij), [key]
— v., -aged, -ag•ing.
- to bring about or succeed in accomplishing, sometimes despite difficulty or hardship: She managed to see the governor. How does she manage it on such a small income?
- to take charge or care of: to manage my investments.
- to dominate or influence (a person) by tact, flattery, or artifice: He manages the child with exemplary skill.
- to handle, direct, govern, or control in action or use: She managed the boat efficiently.
- to wield (a weapon, tool, etc.).
- to handle or train (a horse) in the exercises of the manège.
- to use sparingly or with judgment, as health or money; husband.
- to conduct business, commercial affairs, etc.; be in charge: Who will manage while the boss is away?
- to continue to function, progress, or succeed, usually despite hardship or difficulty; get along: How will he manage with his wife gone? It was a rough time, but we managed.
- manage (Thesaurus)