liberate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lib'u-rāt"), [key]
— -at•ed, -at•ing.
- to set free, as from imprisonment or bondage.
- to free (a nation or area) from control by a foreign or oppressive government.
- to free (a group or individual) from social or economic constraints or discrimination, esp. arising from traditional role expectations or bias.
- to disengage; set free from combination, as a gas.
- to steal or take over illegally: The soldiers liberated a consignment of cigarettes.
- liberate (Thesaurus)