legal: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (lē'gul), [key]
- permitted by law; lawful: Such acts are not legal.
- of or pertaining to law; connected with the law or its administration: the legal profession.
- appointed, established, or authorized by law; deriving authority from law.
- recognized by law rather than by equity.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the profession of law or of lawyers: a legal mind.
- of or pertaining to the Mosaic Law.
- of or pertaining to the doctrine that salvation is gained by good works rather than through free grace.
- a person who acts in a legal manner or with legal authority.
- an alien who has entered a country legally.
- a person whose status is protected by law.
- a fish or game animal, within specified size or weight limitations, that the law allows to be caught and kept during an appropriate season.
- a foreigner who conducts espionage against a host country while working there in a legitimate capacity, often in the diplomatic service.
- authorized investments that may be made by fiduciaries, as savings banks or trustees.
- legal (Thesaurus)