Meaning of lax
Pronunciation: (laks), [key]
— -er, -est.
- not strict or severe; careless or negligent: lax morals; a lax attitude toward discipline.
- loose or slack; not tense, rigid, or firm: a lax rope; a lax handshake.
- not rigidly exact or precise; vague: lax ideas.
- open, loose, or not retentive, as diarrheal bowels.
- (of a person) having the bowels unusually loose or open.
- open or not compact; having a loosely cohering structure; porous: lax tissue; lax texture.
- (of a vowel) articulated with relatively relaxed tongue muscles. Cf. tense (def. 4).
- lax (Thesaurus)