Pronunciation: (nīf), [key]
— n., pl. v., knives knifed, knif•ing.
- an instrument for cutting, consisting essentially of a thin, sharp-edged, metal blade fitted with a handle.
- a knifelike weapon; dagger or short sword.
- any blade for cutting, as in a tool or machine.
- in surgery; undergoing a medical operation: The patient was under the knife for four hours.
- to apply a knife to; cut, stab, etc., with a knife.
- to attempt to defeat or undermine in a secret or underhanded way.
- to move or cleave through something with or as if with a knife: The ship knifed through the heavy seas.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.