Irish: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ī'rish), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Ireland, its inhabitants, or their language.
- the inhabitants of Ireland and their descendants elsewhere.
- the aboriginal Celtic-speaking people of Ireland.
- the Celtic language of Ireland in its historical or modern form. Abbr.: Ir, Ir. Cf. Middle Irish, Old Irish.
- to become angry or outraged: Don't go getting your Irish up over a little matter like that.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.