instant: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in'stunt), [key]
- an infinitesimal or very short space of time; a moment: They arrived not an instant too soon.
- the point of time now present or present with reference to some action or event.
- a particular moment: at the instant of contact.
- a food or beverage, esp. coffee, specially processed for quick preparation.
- the present or current month.
- succeeding without any interval of time; prompt; immediate: instant relief from a headache.
- pressing or urgent: instant need.
- noting a food or beverage requiring a minimal amount of time and effort to prepare, as by heating or the addition of milk or water, before being served or used: instant coffee; instant pudding.
- occurring, done, or prepared with a minimal amount of time and effort; produced rapidly and with little preparation: an instant book; instant answers; instant history.
- designed to act or produce results quickly or immediately: an instant lottery.
- of the present month:inst. Cf. proximo, ultimo. your letter of the 12th instant. Abbr.:
- present; current: the instant case before the court.
- instant (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.