initiative: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-nish'ē-u-tiv, i-nish'u-), [key]
- an introductory act or step; leading action: to take the initiative in making friends.
- readiness and ability in initiating action; enterprise: to lack initiative.
- one's personal, responsible decision: to act on one's own initiative.
- a procedure by which a specified number of voters may propose a statute, constitutional amendment, or ordinance, and compel a popular vote on its adoption. Cf. referendum (def. 1).
- the general right or ability to present a new bill or measure, as in a legislature.
- of or pertaining to initiation; serving to initiate: Initi-ative steps were taken to stop manufacture of the drug.
- initiative (Thesaurus)