Meaning of imbibe
Pronunciation: (im-bīb'), [key]
— v., -bibed, -bib•ing.
- to consume (liquids) by drinking; drink: He imbibed great quantities of iced tea.
- to absorb or soak up, as water, light, or heat: Plants imbibe moisture from the soil.
- to take or receive into the mind, as knowledge, ideas, or the like: to imbibe a sermon; to imbibe beautiful scenery.
- to drink, esp. alcoholic beverages: Just a soft drink for me—I don't imbibe.
- to absorb liquid or moisture.
- to soak or saturate; imbue.
- imbibe (Thesaurus)