WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. absorb, suck, imbibe, soak up, sop up, suck up, draw, take in, take up
- usage: take in, also metaphorically; "The sponge absorbs water well"; "She drew strength from the minister's words"
- 2. assimilate, imbibe, absorb
- usage: take (gas, light or heat) into a solution
- 3. drink, imbibe, consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- usage: take in liquids; "The patient must drink several liters each day"; "The children like to drink soda"
- 4. imbibe, absorb, assimilate, ingest, take in
- usage: receive into the mind and retain; "Imbibe ethical principles"
All rights reserved.
See also: imbibe (Dictionary)