image: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (im'ij), [key]
— n., v., -aged, -ag•ing.
- a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible.
- an optical counterpart or appearance of an object, as is produced by reflection from a mirror, refraction by a lens, or the passage of luminous rays through a small aperture and their reception on a surface.
- a mental representation; idea; conception.
- a mental representation of something previously perceived, in the absence of the original stimulus.
- form; appearance; semblance: We are all created in God's image.
- counterpart; copy: That child is the image of his mother.
- a symbol; emblem.
- the general or public perception of a company, public figure, etc., esp. as achieved by careful calculation aimed at creating widespread goodwill.
- a type; embodiment: Red-faced and angry, he was the image of frustration.
- a description of something in speech or writing: Keats created some of the most beautiful images in the language.
- a figure of speech, esp. a metaphor or a simile.
- an idol or representation of a deity: They knelt down before graven images.
- the point or set of points in the range corresponding to a designated point in the domain of a given function.
- an illusion or apparition.
- to picture or represent in the mind; imagine; conceive.
- to make an image of; portray in sculpture, painting, etc.
- to project (photographs, film, etc.) on a surface: Familiar scenes were imaged on the screen.
- to reflect the likeness of; mirror.
- to set forth in speech or writing; describe.
- to symbolize; typify.
- to resemble.
- to create an image for (a company, public figure, etc.): The candidate had to be imaged before being put on the campaign trail.
- to transform (data) into an exact replica in a different form, as changing digital data to pixels for display on a CRT or representing a medical scan of a body part in digital form.
- image (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.