Meaning of identify
Pronunciation: (ī-den'tu-fī", i-den'-), [key]
— v., -fied, -fy•ing.
- to recognize or establish as being a particular person or thing; verify the identity of: to identify handwriting; to identify the bearer of a check.
- to serve as a means of identification for: His gruff voice quickly identified him.
- to make, represent to be, or regard or treat as the same or identical: They identified Jones with the progress of the company.
- to associate in name, feeling, interest, action, etc. (usually fol. by with): He preferred not to identify himself with that group.
- to determine to what group (a given specimen) belongs.
- to associate (one or oneself&hasp;) with another person or a group of persons by identification.
- to experience psychological identification: The audience identified with the play's characters.
- identify (Thesaurus)