WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. identify, place, determine, set
- usage: recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something; "She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster"
- 2. name, identify, denote, refer
- usage: give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- 3. identify, see, consider, reckon, view, regard
- usage: consider (oneself) as similar to somebody else; "He identified with the refugees"
- 4. identify, associate, tie in, relate, link, colligate, link up, connect
- usage: conceive of as united or associated; "Sex activity is closely identified with the hypothalamus"
- 5. identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
- usage: identify as in botany or biology, for example
- 6. identify, recognize, recognise
- usage: consider to be equal or the same; "He identified his brother as one of the fugitives"
All rights reserved.
See also: identify (Dictionary)