hike: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hīk), [key]
— v., n. hiked, hik•ing,
- to walk or march a great distance, esp. through rural areas, for pleasure, exercise, military training, or the like.
- to move up or rise, as out of place or position (often fol. by up): My shirt hikes up if I don't wear a belt.
- to hold oneself outboard on the windward side of a heeling sailboat to reduce the amount of heel.
- to move, draw, or raise with a jerk (often fol. by up): to hike up one's socks.
- to increase, often sharply and unexpectedly: to hike the price of milk.
- a long walk or march for recreational activity, military training, or the like.
- an increase or rise, often sharp and unexpected: a hike in wages.
- to go away because one's company is not desired.
- hike (Thesaurus)