grapple: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (grap'ul), [key]
— v., n. -pled, -pling,
- to hold or make fast to something, as with a grapple.
- to use a grapple.
- to seize another, or each other, in a firm grip, as in wrestling; clinch.
- to engage in a struggle or close encounter (usually fol. by with): He was grappling with a boy twice his size.
- to try to overcome or deal (usually fol. by with): to grapple with a problem.
- to seize, hold, or fasten with or as with a grapple.
- to seize in a grip, take hold of: The thug grappled him around the neck.
- a hook or an iron instrument by which one thing, as a ship, fastens onto another; grapnel.
- a seizing or gripping.
- a grip or close hold in wrestling or hand-to-hand fighting.
- a close, hand-to-hand fight.
- grapple (Thesaurus)