Meaning of gamma
Pronunciation: (gam'u), [key]
- the third letter of the Greek alphabet (&Ggr;, &ggr;).
- the consonant sound represented by this letter.
- the third in a series of items.
- (cap.)a star that is usually the third brightest of a constellation: The third brightest star in the Southern Cross is Gamma Crucis.
- a unit of weight equal to one microgram.
- a unit of magnetic field strength, equal to 10− gauss.
- a measure of the degree of development of a negative or print.
- an analogous numerical indication of the degree of contrast between light and dark in the reproduction of an image in television.
- a grade showing that an individual student is in the third, or lowest, of three scholastic sections in a class. Cf. alpha (def. 7),(def. 8).
- gamma (Thesaurus)