finger: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fing'gur), [key]
- any of the terminal members of the hand, esp. one other than the thumb.
- a part of a glove made to receive a finger.
- the breadth of a finger as a unit of measurement; digit.
- the length of a finger: approximately 4 in. (11 cm).
- an informer or spy.
- something like a finger in form or use, as a projection or pointer: a finger of land leading out into the bay; the finger on the speedometer.
- any of various projecting parts of machines.
- to suffer injury or loss by meddling or by acting rashly: If you get involved in the controversy, you may burn your fingers.
- to express contempt for by or as by the obscene gesture of pointing the middle finger upward while folding the other fingers against the palm.
- to have an interest or share in something.
- to meddle in something.
- to wish for good luck or success, as in a specific endeavor: Keep your fingers crossed that I get the job.
- I know the name, but I can't put my finger on it.
- to indicate exactly; remember:I know the name, but I can't put my finger on it.
- to discover; locate:I haven't been able to lay my finger on the book you requested.
- to make not even a small attempt; do nothing: The house was falling into ruin, but he wouldn't lift a finger to repair it.
- finger (def. 22).
- She let the chance of a lifetime slip through her fingers.
- to elude one, as an opportunity not taken; escape:She let the chance of a lifetime slip through her fingers.
- to pass or be consumed quickly:Money just slips through his fingers.
- to exhibit disdain or contempt (for): She snaps her fingers at the local gossip.
- to exert one's influence easily or successfully upon: He has a remarkable talent for twisting people around his little finger.
- to touch with the fingers; toy or meddle with; handle.
- to touch with the fingers so as to mar or spoil: Please don't finger the vegetables.
- to pilfer; filch.
- to play on (an instrument) with the fingers.
- to perform or mark (a passage of music) with a certain fingering.
- He fingered the man who robbed the bank.
- to inform against or identify (a criminal) to the authorities:He fingered the man who robbed the bank.
- to designate as a victim, as of murder or other crime.
- to touch or handle something with the fingers.
- to extend in or as in the shape of a finger: Landing piers finger out into the river along the city's shoreline.
- finger (Thesaurus)