Meaning of film
Pronunciation: (film), [key]
- a thin layer or coating: a film of grease on a plate.
- a thin sheet of any material: a film of ice.
- a thin skin or membrane.
- a delicate web of filaments or fine threads.
- a thin haze, blur, or mist.
- a cellulose nitrate or cellulose acetate composition made in thin sheets or strips and coated with a sensitive emulsion for taking photographs.
- a strip or roll of this.
- the coating of emulsion on such a sheet or strip or on a photographic plate.
- a strip of transparent material, usually cellulose triacetate, covered with a photographic emulsion and perforated along one or both edges, intended for the recording and reproduction of images.
- a similar perforated strip covered with an iron oxide emulsion(magfilm),intended for the recording and reproduction of both images and sound.
- Seemotion picture.
- Often, experimental film.
- motion pictures collectively.
- the motion-picture industry, or its productions, operations, etc.
- motion pictures, as a genre of art or entertainment:experimental film.
- to cover with a film, thin skin, or pellicle: filmed eyes.
- to film a novel.
- to photograph with a motion-picture camera.
- to reproduce in the form of motion pictures:to film a novel.
- to become covered by a film: The water filmed over with ice.
- This story films easily.
- to be reproduced in a motion picture, esp. in a specified manner:This story films easily.
- to direct, make, or otherwise engage in the production of motion pictures.
- film (Thesaurus)