fifth: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fifth or, often, fith), [key]
- next after the fourth; being the ordinal number for five.
- being one of five equal parts.
- of, pertaining to, or operating at the gear transmission ratio at which the drive shaft speed is greater than that of fourth gear for a given engine crankshaft speed: fifth gear.
- in the fifth place; fifthly.
- a fifth part, esp. of one ().
- the fifth member of a series.
- a fifth part of a gallon of liquor or spirits; of a quart (about 750 milliliters).
- fifth gear.
- a tone on the fifth degree from another tone (counted as the first).
- the interval between such tones.
- the harmonic combination of such tones.
- to decline on the basis of the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to answer a question when testifying.
- fifth (Thesaurus)