fender: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fen'dur), [key]
- the pressed and formed sheet-metal part mounted over the road wheels of an automobile, bicycle, etc., to reduce the splashing of mud, water, and the like.
- a device on the front of a locomotive, streetcar, or the like, for clearing the track of obstructions.
- a mudguard or splashboard on a horse-drawn vehicle.
- a piece of timber, bundle of rope, or the like, hung over the side of a vessel to lessen shock or prevent chafing, as between the vessel and a dock or another vessel.
- a low metal guard before an open fireplace, to keep back falling coals.
- a person or thing that wards something off.
- fender (Thesaurus)