fault: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fôlt), [key]
- a defect or imperfection; flaw; failing: a fault in the brakes; a fault in one's character.
- responsibility for failure or a wrongful act: It is my fault that we have not finished.
- an error or mistake: a fault in addition.
- a misdeed or transgression: to confess one's faults.
- (in tennis, handball, etc.)
- a ball that when served does not land in the proper section of an opponent's court.
- a failure to serve the ball according to the rules, as from within a certain area.
- a break in the continuity of a body of rock or of a vein, with dislocation along the plane of the fracture
- (of a horse jumping in a show) any of a number of improper executions in negotiating a jump, as a tick, knockdown, refusal, or run-out.
- a partial or total local failure in the insulation or continuity of a conductor or in the functioning of an electric system.
- a break in the line of scent; a losing of the scent; check.
- lack; want.
- to be at fault for a mistake.
- open to censure; blameworthy:to be at fault for a mistake.
- in a dilemma; puzzled:to be at fault as to where to go.
- (of hounds) unable to find the scent.
- to seek and make known defects or flaws; complain; criticize: He constantly found fault with my behavior.
- to an extreme degree; excessively: She was generous to a fault.
- to commit a fault; blunder; err.
- to undergo faulting.
- to cause a fault in.
- to find fault with, blame, or censure.
- fault (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.