fact: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fakt), [key]
- something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
- something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
- a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
- something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.
- Often,an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Cf. question of fact, question of law.
- after the commission of a crime: an accessory after the fact.
- prior to the commission of a crime: an accessory before the fact.
- actually; really; indeed: In fact, it was a wonder that anyone survived.
- fact (Thesaurus)