electric: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (i-lek'trik), [key]
- pertaining to, derived from, produced by, or involving electricity: an electric shock.
- producing, transmitting, or operated by electric currents: an electric bell; electric cord.
- electrifying; thrilling; exciting; stirring: The atmosphere was electric with excitement.
- (of a musical instrument) an electric piano.
- producing sound by electrical or electronic means:an electric piano.
- equipped with connections to an amplifier-loudspeaker system:an electric violin.
- an electric locomotive.
- Informal.a railroad operated by electricity.
- electricity: residential users of gas and electric.
- something, as an appliance, vehicle, or toy, operated by electricity.
- a substance that is a nonconductor of electricity, as glass or amber, used to store or to excite an electric charge.
- electric (Thesaurus)