dream: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (drēm), [key]
— n., v., adj. dreamed dreamt, dream•ing,
- a succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep.
- the sleeping state in which this occurs.
- an object seen in a dream.
- an involuntary vision occurring to a person when awake.
- a vision voluntarily indulged in while awake; daydream; reverie.
- an aspiration; goal; aim: A trip to Europe is his dream.
- a wild or vain fancy.
- something of an unreal beauty, charm, or excellence.
- to have a dream.
- to indulge in daydreams or reveries: He dreamed about vacation plans when he should have been working.
- to think or conceive of something in a very remote way (usually fol. by of&hasp;): I wouldn't dream of asking them.
- to see or imagine in sleep or in a vision.
- to imagine as if in a dream; fancy; suppose.
- to pass or spend (time) in dreaming (often fol. by away): to dream away the afternoon.
- to form in the imagination; devise: They dreamed up the most impossible plan.
- most desirable; ideal: a dream vacation.
- dream (Thesaurus)