dragoon: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dru-gn'), [key]
- (esp. formerly) a European cavalryman of a heavily armed troop.
- a member of a military unit formerly composed of such cavalrymen, as in the British army.
- (formerly) a mounted infantryman armed with a short musket.
- to set dragoons or soldiers upon; persecute by armed force; oppress.
- to force by oppressive measures; coerce: The authorities dragooned the peasants into leaving their farms.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.