depression: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-presh'un), [key]
- the act of depressing.
- the state of being depressed.
- a depressed or sunken place or part; an area lower than the surrounding surface.
- sadness; gloom; dejection.
- a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason. Cf. clinical depression.
- dullness or inactivity, as of trade.
- a period during which business, employment, and stock-market values decline severely or remain at a very low level of activity.
- a low state of vital powers or functional activity.
- the angular distance of a celestial body below the horizon; negative altitude.
- the angle between the line from an observer or instrument to an object below either of them and a horizontal line.
- an area completely or mostly surrounded by higher land, ordinarily having interior drainage and not conforming to the valley of a single stream.
- an area of low atmospheric pressure.
- depression (Thesaurus)