Meaning of dean
- the dean of admissions.
- the head of a faculty, school, or administrative division in a university or college:the dean of admissions.
- an official in an American college or secondary school having charge of student personnel services, such as counseling or discipline:the dean of men.
- the official in charge of undergraduate students at an English university.
- the head of the chapter of a cathedral or a collegiate church.
- Also calledvicar forane.a priest in the Roman Catholic Church appointed by a bishop to take care of the affairs of a division of a diocese.
- the senior member, in length of service, of any group, organization, profession, etc.: the dean of lexicographers.
— n. Brit.
- 1931–55, U.S. actor.
- (“Dizzy”), 1911–74, U.S. baseball pitcher.
- a male given name: from the Old English family name meaning “valley.”
- dean (Thesaurus)