Pronunciation: (dam'ij), [key]
— n., v., -aged, -ag•ing.
- injury or harm that reduces value or usefulness: The storm did considerable damage to the crops.
- the estimated money equivalent for detriment or injury sustained.
- Often,cost; expense; charge: What are the damages for the lubrication job on my car?
- to cause damage to; injure or harm; reduce the value or usefulness of: He damaged the saw on a nail.
- to become damaged: Soft wood damages easily.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.