Pronunciation: (kyoor), [key]
— n., v., cured, cur•ing.
- a means of healing or restoring to health; remedy.
- a method or course of remedial treatment, as for disease.
- successful remedial treatment; restoration to health.
- a means of correcting or relieving anything that is troublesome or detrimental: to seek a cure for inflation.
- the act or a method of preserving meat, fish, etc., by smoking, salting, or the like.
- spiritual or religious charge of the people in a certain district.
- the office or district of a curate or parish priest.
- to restore to health.
- to relieve or rid of something detrimental, as an illness or a bad habit.
- to prepare (meat, fish, etc.) for preservation by salting, drying, etc.
- to promote hardening of (fresh concrete or mortar), as by keeping it damp.
- to process (rubber, tobacco, etc.) as by fermentation or aging.
- to effect a cure.
- to become cured.
Pronunciation: (kyoo-rā', kyoor'ā Fr. ky-rā'), [key]
— pl. cu•rés
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- (in France) a parish priest.