Meaning of costume
Pronunciation: (n.kos'tm, -tymv.ko&sylpstm', -stym'), [key]
— n., v., adj. -tumed, -tum•ing,
- a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, esp. that peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period.
- dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person, etc., as worn on the stage or at balls.
- fashion of dress appropriate to a particular occasion or season: dancing costume; winter costume.
- a set of garments, esp. women's garments, selected for wear at a single time; outfit; ensemble.
- to dress; furnish with a costume; provide appropriate dress for: to costume a play.
- of or characterized by the wearing of costumes: a costume party.
- meant for use with or appropriate to a specific costume: costume accessories.
- costume (Thesaurus)