contraction: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kun-trak'shun), [key]
- an act or instance of contracting.
- the quality or state of being contracted.
- a shortened form of a word or group of words, with the omitted letters often replaced in written English by an apostrophe, as e'er for ever, isn't for is not, dep't for department.
- the change in a muscle by which it becomes thickened and shortened.
- a restriction or withdrawal, as of currency or of funds available as call money.
- a decrease in economic and industrial activity (opposed to expansion).
- contraction (Thesaurus)