WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. contraction, muscular contraction, muscle contraction, shortening
- usage: (physiology) a shortening or tensing of a part or organ (especially of a muscle or muscle fiber)
- 2. compression, condensation, contraction, shrinking, shrinkage
- usage: the process or result of becoming smaller or pressed together; "the contraction of a gas on cooling"
- 3. contraction, word
- usage: a word formed from two or more words by omitting or combining some sounds; "`won't' is a contraction of `will not'"; "`o'clock' is a contraction of `of the clock'"
- 4. contraction, decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down
- usage: the act of decreasing (something) in size or volume or quantity or scope
All rights reserved.
See also: contraction (Dictionary)